Thursday, May 27, 2010

Book Review: One Day by David Nicholls


You can live your whole life not realizing that what you are looking for is right in front of you.

Hohoho... Rina is not kidding when she wrote on her blog: (Fatma, somehow I thought of you while reading this book thehehe. Try and read it then you'll know why =P)


I bought the book 'One Day' by David Nicholls right after reading her blog, curious to see what she had in mind. Two chapters in, not even past the 26th page, I had to put the book down. This can't be. I am not Emma Morley, I am not Emma Morley. OH MY GOD, I AM Emma Morley!

Let put it this way. Didn't everyone have that one song that nailed your emotion and feeling so perfectly, as if the singer knows exactly what you are thinking, and the lyrics is so personal it might as well come from your own diary, and you thought, "Sigh, this is sooooo my song". For the first time ever, people, I found 'my book'. I laughed, I cried, I sighed, I screamed "I totally did that!", and at times I had to put the book away because it became unbearably painful to see a flicker of my life in the story. (And I will stop the comparison here because if I review the book on a personal level any further it will be as if I am reviewing my own diary, huhu).

(Hmmm, maybe I should demand a royalty).

'One Day' is an amazingly moving - at times tender, at other times hurtful - account of twenty years worth of a love story. Emma and Dexter first met on their graduation day, and the book explored their bittersweet relationship for the next two decades, with each chapter taking place on 15 July of each year (a unique storytelling technique which I totally dig).

Before you dismiss it as another boy-meets-girl story - a premise that has been told countless times since ancient civilization - you simply has to read it because of the powerful way the story was told and the profound insight into the intricacy of relationship the book is providing. David Nicholls is a super-awesome narrator, stripping the emotion down to the rawest layer, and he is now officially my new favorite author.

It has been too long since I got so engrossed and deeply connected with a book that I finished it less than 24-hours. I don't want the story to end, but at the same time, I can't wait to know what happen to the characters at the end; and when it does end, I felt hollow and dazed and emotionally drained.


(And no, this is not a chick-lit, guys. The author is a male, but who might as well be a female in his last life because seriously, how else did he managed to convey all those feminine emotion so, so well?)

I am linking this excellent review from Times Online for your reference because I don't think I will do a good job telling you how absolutely wonderful this book is except to recommend that if you need to read only one modern adult fiction this year, make it this book!

(I have a feeling that once you read it, in one-way or another, you too might think that this is your story, this is your song).

And thanks Rina, this book comes at the right time :)

1 comment:

  1. You are very much welcome babe. Am sooo glad you love it =D

    ReplyDelete