Friday, September 10, 2010

1 Syawal di Awan Biru

"The world has it's ways, to quiet us down. The world has it's ways to quiet us down. Comes the rain, down comes our spirits again. But down comes the strength, to lift us up and then..." - Losing Keys, by Jack Johnson


Greetings from Hong Kong, my friends! I am now waiting for my flight out to Montreal, Canada. We got delayed for two extra hours :( Hopefully, we'll make the Toronto-Montreal connecting flight; if not, need to spend the night at Toronto pulak.


1. If you ever wonder how does it feel to spend the eve of Raya alone in your bujang apartment, let me tell you: it sucks! I thought four years of studying abroad could prepare me for this. I even had to sit for a final exam on one of the Raya there. But the feeling is different. Being in a country where people don't really celebrate Eid definitely suppressed the raya feeling. As such, 1 Syawal went by just like any other day. You don't really 'feel' it, and I can survived that.

But being in Kuala Lumpur when the rest of the family is in Melaka, and when the city is empty, when all your friends are away enjoying time with their family, and you are there alone in your apartment packing up for your trip... cue the takbir raya, cue the mercun, cue the raya songs - oh man, the loneliness factor increases one-hundredth fold! I could not even stayed at home because it got so depressing, so I spent the day running errands and walking around the city. Even in a sea full of people, I felt so alone :(

So unless you are a heartless person, or your heart is made of pure steel, silalah pulang beraya di kampung. If you are like me, a woman that looks all macho on the outside, tapi sebenarnya di dalam hatinya memang mudah tersentuh, silalah pulang beraya di kampung, okay?

2. My flight was 'nicely' planned for 1 Syawal at 9.25 am. And of course, I forgot to call the airport taxi to pick me up. Lebih tragis lagi, it was raining right after Subuh, just the time I planned to leave home. I had no option but to wait for the taxi outside the apartment, but did you know how many taxi are outside that early in the morning, plus it is a Raya morning??? Zero!

The rain was rather heavy, thus I can't tugged my big luggage along, so I left it near the guard station, and walked out with a small umbrella. Dalam kedinginan pagi Subuh disaat hujan turun mencurah-curah (serious, syahdu okay), five minutes passed with me praying nervously for a miracle (and yeah, almost crying too), before I saw a taxi from far away. Memula dia macam tak nak berhenti - lagi la aku nak nangis!! Huhu, nasib baik dia berenti gak. "Maaf dik, tak nampak. Gelap sangat", the taxi driver said. I thanked him so many times :"Terima kasih la sebab berhenti, pakcik. Saya dah menggelabah dah nih". Serius, aku rasa macam nak peluk je dia, haha. I even planned to pay him double, just because I felt so relieved!

We went back to my apartment to pick up my luggage and off we went to Setiawangsa LRT. He first offered to send me to KLIA, but since he wanted to perform Solat Raya in Wangsa Maju - obviously he won't be able to get back in time - I said the LRT pun okay la.

And you know what, he did not want to take the taxi fare! "Saya belanja raya," he said. Ya Allah, murahnya rezeki ku hari ini. My day was set to look like it will go all wrong, and here came a good soul to make everything all right again. I prayed that He will bring more rezeki to the pakcik taxi yang cool itu.

3. As Sue and I got off the tram at the international departure hall at KLIA, I was approached by three very nervous looking Indonesian women. "Maaf, ibu. Tumpang tanya. Dimana perlu kami dapatkan tiket? Tadi diberitahu pramugari perlu naik keretapi". We were in a rush, but I could not help but to feel for them. They really looked like unseasoned travelers, macam rusa masuk kampung pun ada gak, completely lost. I remembered the nice pakcik taxi, and I know it's time to pay his kindness forward.

"Mau kemana ni?" (Aku bercakap dengan sedikit accent Indonesian, haha. Macam fail je). They said they are going to Bahrain for work, but the only boarding pass that they had was the Jakarta-KL used boarding stub. They gave me their passport and I found the e-ticket inside.

Oh, next flight is on Jordanian Royal Airlines. They thanked me profusely when I explained that they might had to take the tram to the main terminal and get the next boarding pass there. But as they waited for the tram, I remembered that there should be a transfer counter in this very terminal itself. As I walked back to them, I saw them approaching two MAS stewardess about to board the tram (inilah stewardess from their previous flight, yang suruh diaorg naik keretapi tu). I saw one of the stewardess got kind of annoyed and pulled some faces when the three ladies asked for her help. Isk... tak boleh jadi ni. I swooped in and asked the stewardess in my authoritative, snobbish sounding English where these ladies should be heading. Baru la dia senyum dengan girangnya, "Oh, they approached you too, madam? Yes, they can just go to that transfer counter. Thanks for helping. Be careful (sebab ada troli nak langgar aku, haha). Selamat Hari Raya!". Huish, pilih kasih. Bila orang speaking baru la nak layan. Kesian ok kakak-kakak dari Indonesia tu.

So, I told them the direction to the counter, tapi serius muka diorang macam sangat confuse dan macam tak reti baca directional signage jugak, so aku decide to walk with them to the counter terus. Huhuhu, beria sungguh diaorang berterima kasih ("Terima kasih, ibu. Nasib baik ada yang mahu menolong..."). Aku harap they get to their destination safely!

My cheap phone can't be set to roaming (yeah, memang kena beli handphone mahal la nampaknya lepas ni), so I'll be out of touch except via email and FB, hopefully. Missing you guys already - can't wait to be home :)

p/s: yesterday I had the final Ramadhan weigh-in. Tadaaa!!!! Awesome blossom!


6 comments:

  1. wahhh must be feeling really good after that final weigh in ehehehe.. btw, i TOTALLY understand the raya alone in KL vs 4 yrs in US.. hope ure having a good time in montreal, see u when u get back! shr mzb babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Fatmaaa I soo understand about stewardess Msia yg sgt biased!!! Mase flight aku to Dubai, mcm ramai Phillipinos tau in the plane. And the stewardess yg served them tu mcm rude gilerrr! And macam taknak layan sgt request diorang for more water or anything. Aku rase cam nak file a complaint je kat MAS ni. If you want to be bitter, don't be a stewardess lah kan?

    Anyway, don't be sad babe. Enjoy Canada =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long will you be in montreal, babe? My mom's heading to canada this weekend for a month, nanti aku suruh dia bwk ketupat eh? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. K: yeah, suck gell kan? kalau betul2 jauh, ok gak. ini so closeeee...

    SRS: i am 'enjoying' canada. it has been a good distraction so far. kinda help, a bit :(

    bonda: alaaaaaaaaa, this weekend i'm heading back already. huhuh. best nya. bukan setakat ketupat, byk lagi aku akan order from your mom. korang masak sedap :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. posting yg best utk 1 syawal...
    semoga rezeki pakcik teksi tu bertambah murah & semoga rezeki fatma juga murah sbb membantu kakak2 indonesia tu... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. kalau buat baik, memang dibalas baik..kindness will be returned, either by the same person or through others....

    catch up with u later, by this time, sure ko dah makan segala macam dah kan

    ReplyDelete