Wednesday, November 24, 2010

From The Kitchen: Butter Shrimp with Pineapple, Calamari and Okra


I got addicted to Top Chef recently - man, if I can ever trade my work with anybody, I want Padma's job as the show's host (nama pun dah lebih kurang), and if I ever have to participate in a reality show, it will be this program (syoknya main masak-masak!) - and that make me realized it has been a while since I cooked anything fancy besides the usual comfort of chilli, porridge and more chilli. So tonight, a new dish!

Butter Shrimp with Pineapple, Calamari and Okra

This is practically three-dishes dish. Let's start with the easy one.

1) Calamari
Dip the squid into one of those ready-made frying flour, and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Hehe. easy maa...

2) Okra
To remove those gooey stuff from the okra, heat up the okra in a non-stick pan, without oil. It will dry up those gooey stuff. Put aside.

Heat up a little bit of oil. Toss in the chopped onion and garlic and some dried shrimp. Then, put in the okra. Seasoned with some tauchu.

3) Butter Shrimp with Pineapple
Prep the shrimp by removing the shell and season with some chilli powder and salt.

Heat up some butter (okay, lots of butter! But I leave it to you to decide what's appropriate :p). Toss in some garlic, curry leaves, onion and cubed pineapple. Let it simmer for a while for all the juices and seasoning to mix, then add in the shrimp.

Note: If I were to cook this again, I would add up some acid - lime juice - and more hotness - cili padi - to the shrimp dish. That will make the whole dish even more awesome!

3 comments:

  1. iskk.. kene try nih.. jgn lupe wat nanti.. haha.. cam pas abih acd dah.. haha.. gi study.. =p

    nsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. top chef sgt layan.. i want to be padma too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah fatma ko juga melayan top chef! suka!

    ReplyDelete